- Duration: 5 days
- Difficulty: Participants must be in good shape
- Departures: Year around (AET4)
- Trekking cost: US $2,500 per person minimum 6 clients
- Hotel Single supplement: US $1,200
- Reservation: US $900
- Balance of payment due: 120 days prior to departure
- Space available: 6 persons
This fascinating trek invite you to discover the magic ambient of Atacama Desert and its oasis: the village of San Pedro, the archeological capital of Chile. We will trek the powerful park of El Tatio to see its Geysers at dawn, travel to the moon in the Moon Valley, relax our body in natural Hot Springs and trek in the vastness of “Altiplano” landscapes: salt flat, lagoons and majestic volcanoes around.
We will climb the superb Lascar Volcano, 5,425m (17,798 ft) on our last day, once we get acclimatized to highness.
Day 1: Meet Guide and transfer Sand Pedro de Atacama
Meet with your Aconcagua Express Expeditions & Treks Guide at Calama’s airport and transfer to San Pedro de Atacama (2,440m/8,005 ft). San Pedro is an unusually colorful oasis of adobe houses surrounded by a green oasis, hotel check in procedures. In the afternoon We rent bicycles and tour the local archaeological sites of Quitor an 12th-century Indian Pukara (fortress), the former Inka administration center of Catarpe and Tulor the oldest evidence of human life in the area. Hotel
Day 02: Puritama Canyon
Drive to Guatin to observe cactus and river ecosystem, from where we hike through the Puritama canyon. We will see the archaeological remains of the former inhabitants of this region and an unique cactus variety (Echinopsis Atacamensis). Arrive to Puritama hotsprings (33°C/91.4°F, 3,500m/11,482 ft), where we take a refreshing bath and enjoy a small snack before returning San Pedro. Visit the archaeological Museum Le Page and a tour to Death and Moon valley to enjoy the magic colors of a desert sunset. Hotel
Day 3: Altiplanic lagoons Miscanti & Meñique
Today we visit the altiplanic lagoons Miscanti & Meñique. We start early from San Pedro and drive along the large Atacama salt flat (the largest of Chile). After one hour we arrive in Toconao village. We will walk through its streets and discover the typical architecture (houses built from volcanic rocks) of this area. We finally arrive (after 2 hours) at the charming Miscanti & Meñique lagoons and do a short trekking to a view point at an altitude of 4,200m (13,779 ft). Then we return to San Pedro. Hotel
Day 4: San Pedro – El Tatio Geysers & San Pedro
We leave San Pedro early to drive north towards the geothermal geysers of El Tatio (4,200m/13,779 ft). We drive towards the high Andes, across the Altiplano (Highland), crowned by the superb Putama Volcano. After breakfast a hike follows to observe the impressive steaming fumaroles, small geysers and multicolored craters, we reach some 4,550m (14,927 ft) gaining acclimatization and getting comfortable with the altitude. Free afternoon at San Pedro. Hotel
Day 5: San Pedro & Lascar Volcano (5,590m)
Early in the morning we leave San Pedro toward Talabre Viejo and from there to Laguna Lejía with a view of the glaciated southern slope of Volcano Lascar. We will stop at 4,500m (14,763 ft), the base camp of the volcano. The climb to the summit should take 6 hours from the base camp. At the top, we can see the impressive crater that measures some 600m diameter and 200m deep. As an alternative, according to the amount of sulfur smoke bletch out by Lascar Volcano, we will consider climbing the Toco Volcano at 5,425m (14,647 ft) on its south face trekking route. Return to San Pedro. Hotel and our San Pedro Atacama Trek comes to an end.
- Professional Bilingual Trekking Guide.
- Ratio Guide Clients 1-6
- All local organization and supervision by KL Expeditions Staff.
- Airport assistance at Calama
- Private transfers the entire tour including airport pick-up.
- Hotel 5 nights based on double occupancy with breakfast in San Pedro.
- Entry fee to Tatio Geysers, Death and Moon Valleys, Museum Le Page, Puritama hot springs & Miscanti & Meñique biological reserve.
- Full board on trekking and camping days, box lunch included.
- Radio Communications equipment VHF.
- First aid kit.
Services not included
- Personal trekking equipment.
- Any cost involved in an early or late departure.
- Any meals on city and transfers days.
- Any drinks (soda, beer or wine) in the cities and during transfer days.
- Cancellation, accident and rescue insurance.
- Cash for extra expenses.
- Any other service not mentioned in the list.
- Any departure can be re-scheduled with a minimum of 6 persons.
- All itineraries are subject to change due to changes in the weather, group dynamic and guide’s preferences.
- Flights from USA is with LAN Chile and departure are from Los Angeles, New York and Miami.